3.08.2010

I'm diggin it..so far. Part 1: Email

After trying out the numerous features included in Posterous, I have concluded that this website is more of a writing space. The site allows freedom to post whatever is on your mind with the simple send of an email, making this a space for regular activity as long as you have email access. To me, this is key to a writing space, allowing users to access it and let out thoughts whenever necessary, which brings me to my first criteria for the site: ACCESSIBILITY.

Posterous is used only through email. By this I mean, no log in name to remember, no tricky html codes, fonts, or any sort of tricks to posting. The skills to composing an email are all one would need. With that being said, having a cell phone or any sort of mobile device that can access email can also be used to post on Posterous without tracking down a computer. Once your email is sent, Posterous promptly replies with an email much like this:

posterous
Hello Courtney,

Your email has been posted!

Welcome to Posterous! We think e-mailing is such a natural way to share information, there can be no better way to publish something on the internet. So go for it, send us something else! We'll add it to the blog you have already created.

Your new post

Do you want to edit or remove this post?
Click here to edit or remove
and POOF, you've posted on Posterous. 

One thing I did find a bit frustrating about the email service was that my phone, (unlike what I originally thought) is not compatible because, while it does have email, it is not a "smartphone" or one that is directly connected to my Yahoo account therefore I could not post from my phone. However, I was still intrigued with the email feature because I could post from anywhere I could find a computer without logging into my personal Posterous account leaving it exposed to anyone who might have walked by. To the naked eye, it looked as though I was just typing an email. Similarly, to those who are less tech savvy, adding attachments such as pictures or audio files is much easier in an email. In a blog, these things can get tricky especially when one has to add links or embed videos. Typically, email servers are set up easily enough for the average joe to figure out, making Posterous extremely accessible.

Therefore, I give the Email feature of Posterous an:

A-


1 comment:

  1. After I posted this portion of my review, I actually switched back to my Blackberry phone instead of the stupid phone I was using during my review. After using my Blackberry to post on Posterous through the mobile web, I would have to say that I give the email function of Posterous an A. I can't get over how easy it is to post to this website, especially when I'm driving or at school or somewhere where my mind is racing and I have a thought I'd like to share. It makes sharing ideas very convenient.

    ReplyDelete